I just wrote my first ever training plan! My boyfriend was asking me for a training plan for his upper body, core and cardio, and lower body. Do one each day and don’t forget to cool down and stretch! I wanted to share and get feedback! I put the weights in for him but everything is varied for each individual. Sometimes its easier to start without weights and add them on once you feel comfortable with your posture and the movement patterns. Before trying these make sure you don’t have any injuries that cause pain in any movements. Here we go!
Upper Body– No Weights
- Push ups with single leg lifts
- 10 reps each side for 2 sets
- Start in a push up position. lifting on leg adjust to a plank position. Do the push up and finish with a toe tap- so your not putting your weight back down, just tapping with your toe.
- 15 reps for 2 sets
- Start standing, do a forward bend and walk your hands out to push up position. Do a push up and walk your toes as close to your hands as you can. Return to standing position.
- Free weight dips with legs extended
- 20 reps for 2 sets
- If you can find a sturdy surface (Like your pallet). Put your hands behind you on the surface and lift yourself up. Sink down and hold. Lift yourself back up until your arms and fully extended.
- Shoulder push ups
- 15 reps for 2 sets
- Get into downward facing dog. Do a push up motion with your arms like your slowly placing the top of your head on the ground. Push up
- Pull ups
- 12 reps for 2 sets
- Make sure you go all the way down!
- Snow Angel
- Try 10 at first. This is more of a shoulder stabilization exercise
- Lay on your back with your knees bent. Your arms are moving like your would with a standing press- just without weights. Start with your elbows in and not touching the floor. Press your arms like you have resistance until the come together upwards with your arms extended. Then return them to start.
- IYTWO Stabilization
- Try 5. This is another shoulder stabilizer
- Lay on your stomach. Pick your face and chest up off the floor. Stick your arms out to make the letter “I”, then at a 45 degree angle for “Y”, then out to the sides for a “T”, then bring the elbows to your sides for a “W”, and around to the small of your back for an “O”. Your have to pretend you have resistance and really squeeze your muscles to feel it.
I like to do one set of each and then go through the workout again for the second set.
Upper Body– With Weights
* try to do 8-12 reps and 3-5 sets with each. Start with more reps, then more sets, then more weight * Meaning: start with (example) 20 pounds, go from 8 reps to 12 reps in 3 sets, then 3 sets to 5 sets in the same 8-12 rep progression. Then add 5 pounds and do it all again. This type of rep/set is used for muscular hypertrophy (increase in muscle size). Also, I kind of estimated what weight would be appropriate. You’ll be a better judge of what’s challenging as you go along. Don’t be afraid to back off the weights to get a feel for the first set or mix and rearrange exercises from either option
Start with 10-15 mins of moderate cardio on any machine you choose so your heart rate is increased for your workout session.
1. Dumbbell Incline Press
- start with 20-25lbs
- put the bench at a 20 degree angel (not 45 because that puts too much pressure on your joints). Press normally. Starting position should be hands in line with chin
2. Lying Dumbbell Pec Fly
- start with 20-25 lbs
- lay on the bench with arms extended but with a slight curl in the elbows. Bring weights to meet extended in front of you. Return to start
3. Lat Pull Downs
- Start with 40 lbs
- Make sure you have a good grip, hands shoulder width apart. Keep elbows in by your sides on the pull down and count to three before slowly/ with control raising your arms back up to start
4. Barbell Bench Press
- Start at your normal weight +5 lbs
5. Dumbbell Row
- Start with 20-25 lbs
- Use the bench and kneel with your left foot and right hand. Extend your hand with the weight towards the floor. Pull up like your trying to start a lawn mower and lower slowly using control
Same deal with the 8-12 reps/3-5 sets. Start with 8 reps for 3 sets, then increase reps to 12. 8 reps/ 4 sets, 10 reps/ 4 sets, 12 reps/ 4 sets. Then again with 5 sets. THEN increase with weights by 5 lbs.
6. Incline Reverse Lateral Dumbbell Raise
- Start with 20 lbs
- I think they have a set up for this at the school gym with a bench you can lay on your stomach. It’s basically the same as the lying dumbbell pec flys expect for your start with your arms out in front and then bring them back to make a “T” with slightly bent elbows.
7. Shoulder Shrugs
- 35 lbs
- Hold weights down by your side. Shrug your shoulders up and down slowly
8. Lying Dumbbell Pullover
- 20 lbs. You can also use it with the weighted barbells near the free weights
- lay on your back with your strait up above you and knuckles facing you, then at the elbows curl them down towards your shoulders. Your bicep/tricep will remain perpendicular to your body. It’s just the elbows and the forearms moving.
9. Hammer Curl and Press
- 20 lbs
- The hammer curl section starts with the weight down by your side knuckles facing out. Curl them up to your biceps- then rotate them out to the side so your knuckles are facing out towards the wall in front of you. Then your press them up, bring them down, rotate the knuckles back in and reverse the hammer curl. Make sure your knees are hip width apart and slightly bent. No jerking motions with your body. Good posture, good core!
10. Medicine Ball Pushups
- This sounded hard! You grab like a 5-8lbs medicine ball and you put your hands on it and do a push up! I thought it was a fun challenge that focuses on your arms/back/chest and gives you the added challenge of stability.
Cardio and Core!
- Cardio! Your choice for 15 mins at a light to moderate pace
- Bird dog crunch
- 15 each side
- This is a lot about balance. Get into table top (hands and knees on the floor with a flat back). Take opposite arm and leg and extend them keeping that flat back. Then curl same opposite arm and leg in to touch knee to elbow (really curl your back up to get a deep core).
- Russian Twists
- 8lbs medicine ball
- 30 touches on each side
- 50 crunches with raised knees- add weights and reps
- 30 bicycle crunches each side
- Cardio! 15-20 minutes of moderate to intense this time
- Ab wheel. It has handles on the sides. Start on your knees and do as many as you can.
- Regular plank until failure or posture fails
- Side planks! Start on your forearm at 45 on each side. Make sure you keep both sides even. Advance to strait arm and then strait arm with one leg extended in the air.
Buns and Thighs
10-15 mins of light to moderate cardio
- Lunge overhead press
- 8lbs medicine ball
- 12-16 reps for 2 sets
- Lunge foreward, don’t be afraid to go deep as long as knees don’t go over toes. Take the medicine ball and press up!
- Dumbbell Dead lift
- 25 lbs bar
- Feet should width apart. Bar starts on the ground. Keep chest and head up, lift with your knees and keep your back strait
- Backwards Lunge Twists
- 5-8 lbs medicine ball
- You step back into a lunge and twist the opposite way. So step back with your right leg and twist to the left
- Bosue Medicine Ball Squats
- 5-8lbs medicine ball
- You squat on the ball and push the ball strait out, bring it back in and stand up. Then you do it again but push the ball out twice, then stand up. Then three and etc.
- I did this during my gym workout/interview session. Oh my goodness!!!
- Dumbbell Squat
- Use 15 lbs
- Regular squats but keep the arms up by shoulders with the weights
- Mountain Climbers
- You can do it on the floor or use the bench if it bothers your back
- Do 30 each leg
- Side Lunge
- Slow and steady. Watch your toes. Stand with wide legs and bend one knee to squat
- Do 5 on each side.
I hope you all like it! Feedback is welcomed and encouraged! You can look up any of these moves online. ACE has a nice description for most of them and a gif to help us visual learners.
I did spinning for the first time in 2 years (I know right?) and today is my yoga/ stretch day. Tomorrow is running!
Hope everyone has a wonderful day ♥