I have a free subscription to PopSugar and every morning it sends me an email with maybe four articles related to health and fitness. The other morning I received one on a clean eating. I think my food journal is going pretty well! I’m starting to find out when I’m hungry or tired and when stress triggers my binge eating. I’m also getting a lot busier so that helps. I liked this list of tips to help combat bad eating habits and thought you’d all be interested. Among the list here are a few points I find most helpful!
- Cook at home. I find I actually enjoy cooking at home and can tailor recipes to make yummy snacks even better!
- Don’t hold out to eat. The name of the game is high metabolism. If you stimulate (aka eat) every 2-4 hours, you keep your metabolism engaged and working. I don’t mean gourmet meals, I have 3 big meals and 2-3 small snacks every day.
- Drink more water. Make sure you drink your water before you eat. Sometimes our brain tells us we are hungry when we are actually thirsty. Plus it aids in digestion when you eat.
I also saw an arm workout which made me feel guilty about neglecting my arms lately. One of the areas I have a problem with is my armpit fat. Like when you put your arms down and you can grab a little something-something? I had been working on lifting with my trainer but now that I’m alone, I feel a little intimidated, but I’m gonna pick it back up. I even have Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Weight Lifting Encyclopedia. 700 pages of really helpful exercises and pointers on sculpting your muscles like a body building pro!
The number one tips for weight lifting is “nice and easy”. No need to go crazy your first time trying to impress people, you might end up getting hurt. I’ve provided a few basic moves that I use on the Smith machines (this machine assists with the bar), but can be done with just the bar itself. If you’re a little more advanced, this ACE article I found really explains each move and the target muscles- there is even a video of a woman doing the exercises).
First Time for Heavy Weights
- Bench Press– make sure your feet are planted on the ground and your core is engaged while lying down. Grab the bar shoulder width apart. Bring arms down so that the bar is several inches above the nipple line. Exhale when you press upward.
- Wide Grip Bench Press– This is similar to the normal bench press but it works your outer deltoids (or as I like to call it, “arnold the armfat”). Again, lower the bar to a few inches above the nipple line and exhale as you press upwards.
- Strait Leg Dead Lift– Stand with the bar over your laces and your toes out maybe 20 degrees. Give a slight bend in your knees and grab the bar with one overhand and one underhand grip. Keep the chest up and arms strait. Stand up and exhale (but don’t lock your knees). Bring the weight back down with control and keep your form.
- Bent Over Rows– Set yourself up similarly to the Dead Lift (but both hands are an underhand grip). Slight bend in the knees and keep your chest up. Pull the bar to your ribs/sternum and exhale (middle bone of your rib cage) continually engaging your core.
- Military Press– stand with feet hip width distance apart. grab the bar with and overhand grip in line with your collar bone (arms should be tucked right in on your sides). Press the bar up, moving your head back slighting so you don’t hit your nose. Exhale when arms are straight up.
Ladies. Unless you are on testosterone or any steroids, you will not bulk up and lose your feminine physic. If you’re still worried, use less weight and more reps. This will increase strength and define muscles, but not bulk. Make sure to stretch the muscles after work so they lengthen and lean at the same time. Downward dog… just sayin.
I did my squat routine from my last post the other day and my inner thighs were super sore the following day! Check it out!
In other news: Remember how I was telling you all about NBC filming my race? It’s aired September 23rd at 10pm (eastern time)! If you aren’t sleeping/working/sweating, you should totally check it out online! I was so excited to see the course and the expressions of my friends when they see what I did. They show the morning crew/elite/hurricane heat so I didn’t get my 15 seconds of fame, but still cool to see these jacked guys and gals going at it.
Speaking of TV fame, HammerFit was on TV yesterday! We have a wellness fair coming up along with the grand opening of our very own Juice Bar!
Also, I finally figured out how to make tabs for different categories. So now at the top of the blog you’ll see different pages. All my new posts will show up in home, but if you click on a different header, you’ll go to posts only dedicated to that topic (ie. workouts). Now that I finally figured this out, I’ll refer to posts and use their links- like I just did with me squat routine.
My race is NEXT WEEKEND! say whaatttt!!!
Is everyone ready for fall?!