I was working in the gym the other day when I started to notice a pretty funny similarity with some of the usual weight lifters. Chicken legs! Big brawny men walking around with the skinniest of legs. I’m pretty sure my calves were bigger than half the usual 6pm crowd. Sure, having a muscular upper body is pretty sweet and you can flex and rip shirts all you want, but nice legs are a bonus too.
All jokes aside, Working your lower body has just as many benefits. I’ve been working on my squats more and I’ve already noticed a difference in my running. Cross training your muscles helps them in other areas of fitness and in daily life. By strengthening my quads/hamstrings, I’ve increased there endurance for my runs. Plus- I fill out my jeans quite nicely now 😉
The exercise routine I’m about to share was inspired by the gym and Nicki Minaj’s Anaconda music video. Her butt is ginormous! I didn’t know what people meant when they said she had glute implants but I sure as heck do now! Jeesh! She can certainly twerk like a champ with all that booty! Do you think she has to get her pants custom made? Dose Drake actually like her dancing on him like that? Does she qualify for Guinness book of world records for biggest fake bum? So many questions!!
For those out there who would like a nice behind but think plastic surgery is a bit of an overkill, here is my song challenge workout! I indicated when to switch moves by the first lyric of the section. Listen to the song if you haven’t heard it before while introducing yourself to the moves. Then give it a go!
Equpiment: A chair/ stool and weights if you want them!
Anaconda A$$ Workout
- First Verse- Sumo squats with a side kick. Make sure your knees aren’t over your toes and you don’t wimp out on your squats!
- My Anaconda Don’t- Bulgarian Squats. Make it harder with weights!
- Oh My Gosh, look At Her Butt- Second position pulse. Really make sure to pulse and keep the knees in the 90° degree position!
- Second Verse-squat with a kick back. arm variation: stick your arms out forward as you go back to help with balance. Make it harder with weights!
- He Loves My Big Fat Ass (until the song ends)- four point hops. If this is uncomfortable with your knees (or you have any knee/hip/thigh issues), try plyo squats. this is when you do a normal squat and instead of pushing up to standing, you jump. This eliminates any weird/uncomfortable movement that might occur with multi-plane movements.
Now I know that some of these poses are kind funny, maybe try this exercise out alone first. Maybe I’ll make this a workout video someday- just need to work on my stage fright!