As much as I love winter, this one seemed especially long and lonesome. I had a hard time hitting the slopes, and it was too cold and dark to run outside. My never ending love-hate relationship with the treadmill motivated me to sign up for a few road races. I may or may not have gotten carried away though…
- April 30th- (Cheshire, CT) Ion Bank Half Marathon
- May 20th- (Stowe, VT) Craft Brew 5k
- May 28th- (Burlington, VT) Vermont City Marathon Relay
- June 25th- (Boston, MA) B.A.A 10k
- July 4th- (Bridgeton, ME) Four on the Fourth 4 Mile
- July 9th- (Palmerton, PA) Spartan Super
- August 19th- (Boston, MA) Night Run 5k
- September 16th- (Killington, VT) Spartan Beast
- October 1st- (Long Island, NY) Divas Running Series Half Marathon
- November 5th- (Fenway Park, MA) Spartan Sprint
- November 23rd-(TBA) Turkey Trot 5k
In my attempts to train, I’ve begun to notice a considerable deficit in my protein intake. Has anyone else noticed how hard it is to eat protein all day?! Before really examining my necessary intake for optimal outcome, I was beginning to feel lethargic and really run down. I’ve always been a sound sleeper but for a while I was tossing and turning all night. It’s only been a few days of really watching my gram intake and I already feel a lot better.
I know I am a huge MFP (MyFitnessPal) promoter, but I really believe it is the best educational tool out there for food and nutrition. When I was running, I had the macros calculated to focus on carbs. Now that I’m cross training and exercising for at least one hour a day, I recalibrated my needs. Currently, I should be consuming:
- 165g (40%) of Carbs
- 124g (30%) of Protein
- 55g (30%) of Fat
*Percentages based off a 1,700 caloric intake*
THAT IS SO MUCH PROTEIN!
124g is the equivalent of roughly: 29 pieces of thick cut bacon, 20 hard boiled eggs, 3.5 pounds of bison, 10 scoops of Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein, 4.75 cups of low fat Cabot cottage cheese, or 77.5 medium sized shrimp.
I think I have my work cut out for me as far as finding creative recipes… It’s been difficult due to the food restrictions I have at my job (we have a lot of obscure allergies). Once I get a little more comfortable in the kitchen, I’ll try to start sharing helpful recipes.
Hope you all have a great day!